Monday 12 November 2012

My current skincare routine



























Recently, for the past six months or so, my skin has changed. I used to have perfect skin with no blemishes and only ever used a couple of products on it to maintain. Those were my Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant (cleanser) and the Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF30 (moisturiser). I feel that since I quit smoking, a lot of months ago, the subconscious shock to my system has taken its toll on my skin - Not that that should be a reason for any of you to not quit as well! The amount of money I've saved has meant I can buy so much more luxury goodies! -  So, now my skin seemed to be having horrible breakouts - especially around my chin and T-zone area - and I have gone through so many products to have finally settled on ones that have helped the most. The only thing that is missing from this is a new daily moisturiser; I can't seem to find one that works well just yet!*


1. Caudalie Fleur de Vigne Foam Cleanser - You have to go into your local Space NK and smell this - it's devine! The most plant-like scent ever, this fresh cleanser is my first product used in my morning routine and the second in my night regime, after my Eve Lom. I works extra well if I have a shower in the morning (rather than at night) as my pores have had time to open and this cleans them out like magic. My skin feels so soft afterwards and is ready for my moisturiser.

2. Boots Soltan Aftersun - As I've mentioned, I'm still on the lookout for a good moisturiser that is suitable to my current skin problems. As I've been using some harsher products to treat my acne, the best thing I've found to put on is aftersun. It is designed to ease sore skin and help heal it, which is perfect for me as sometimes I can have rather red, blotchy areas on my face. This contains aloe vera, a naturally sourced oil, which is one of nature's best healing ointments. This is also super moisturising, so I put on a heavier amount at bedtime but for the mornings, after I've cleansed, I use a small amount and let it sink in.

3. Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant - This is a life-saving product. The more I've learned about my skin the more aware I am at how to avoid damaging it with unnecessary products or methods of application. I use this about twice a week (for my evening routine) after I've had my shower, double cleansed (using both my Eve Lom then Caudalie) and patted my skin dry. This goes on like a chalky paste to the skin and you only need a very thin layer. Leaving it on for about 10-15 minutes, the ingredients in this will dissolve any bad bacteria on your skin along with any dead cells. This is the best way to exfoliate as you don't want to be scrubbing your skin with the old-fashioned exfoliators, that can damage it even more. Afterwards, my skin feels like I've just been to a special salon for a professional facial.

4. Eve Lom Cleanser - I have already done a review on this product here. This is the cult cleanser product for all beauty obsessives and with good reason. It is one of the best makeup removers on the market and also one of the most moisturising. Not only will it take off every last scrape of makeup, oil and dirt from your face and eyes, it also gently exfoliates and nourishes. I use this at night before bed with the muslin cloth it comes with. You simply take a pea-sized amount of product and melt it between your fingers and work into the skin using circular, upwards motions. Once it turns a white colour I take my cloth, which I've dampened with warm water, and  fold it over itself about 3 times (to lock in heat/stem) and slowly buff off the product. The best tip I can give you for this is to use very gentle touch when using the muslin cloth as being too harsh can cause irritation.

5. Oxy On The Spot - I asked my pharmacist for this. I believe this one is sold only over the counter and I noticed results after the first night of using it. It costs about £5.00 which is great value for something so worthwhile and, as you can see from my picture, I've used quite a lot of it over the months. This is a very strong cream for the treatment of acne. I originally used this every night after I had double cleansed my skin and only used a very small amount to rub onto my spots and the skin surrounding it. I let that sink in for about five minutes then went in with my aftersun to moisturise, as this product will dry out your skin. It says you can use it twice a day but I found that too much and I can't stress enough that you shouldn't apply this like its a thick moisturiser! I did and had awful tight, flakey skin for days afterwards which left me confined to the house! If you use this lightly and properly then it will work greatly. Now I only use it about twice a week along the areas of my skin that breakout the most.

6. 100% Pue Tea Tree Oil Ointment - I got this from my local PoundShop for £1! I had never tried tea tree oil before but had heard of its amazing benefits. The first thing you will notice about this is the strong smell, it's very overpowering and actually made me a little scared to put such a thing on my sensitive skin. I tried it after I had done my double cleanse and used a cotton ball to gently dab some of the oil onto the affected areas of my skin. After doing this every night I noticed that my acne had defiantly reduced in size and redness which was pleasing. I now use it every other day just to dab on my skin to try and keep it bacteria free and reduce redness. This is more gentle than my Oxy cream so, if you find the Oxy too much to handle, then this is a great, milder alternative.


* If any of you, who have had acne, have any suggestions for good moisturiser then comment and let me know. Thanks xoxo



2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, thanks for your list, it's always good to find out what is working for other people! I have oily acne-prone skin and have tried a lot of moisturizers, including a Dermalogica one that I didn't like much at all. I have been using Garnier Pure Shine Control Moisturizer on and off for a while, and recently discovered Good Things Miracle Mattifier Moisturizer. Both are pretty good, and cheap too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I think the Clean&Clear Dual Action Oil-free Moisturiser is the best! And it's actually very affordable so I would highly recommend that one. I will look into the ones you have suggested as well. Thanks for letting me know!

      xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...